Senior Center Standards
Adopted May 2007
Definition of a Senior Center
A senior center is a community focal point where older adults come together for services and activities that reflect their experience and skills, respond to their diverse needs and interests, enhance their dignity, support their independence, and encourage their involvement in and with the center and the community. Senior centers offer services and activities within the center and link participants with resources offered by other agencies. The center serves as a resource for the entire community for information on aging.
As part of a comprehensive community strategy to meet the needs of older adults, the following requirements are set forth by the NHASC. Adherence to these requirements will ensure a basic unified standard of operation for Senior Centers in the state of New Hampshire.
- Senior Centers shall provide social & recreational opportunities on a weekly basis.
- Senior Centers shall provide, or offer referral to, transportation.
- Senior Centers shall provide access to community and statewide information of senior resources.
- Senior Centers shall provide access to health, wellness and educational programming such as exercise classes, educational speakers, screening/clinics on a weekly basis.
- Senior Centers shall encourage collaboration and partnership with aging services and community providers.
- Senior Centers shall provide, or offer referral to, congregate meals that meet the state definition of one (1) unit, as defined in state contracts, a minimum of three days per week.
- Senior Centers shall provide various opportunities for volunteerism.
- Senior Centers shall be open for use by the Senior public a minimum of 25 hours per week.
- Senior Centers shall meet state and/or local health and safety regulations where applicable.
- Senior Centers shall meet federal, state and local non-discrimination policies.
- Senior Centers shall be a not for profit organization registered with state Attorney General’s office or under municipal governance.